Events That Matter goes beyond just event management and logistics. In 2017, Events That Matter partnered with local sustainability groups to present a range of nation-leading conferences and festivals. 2017 also spelt the year of supporting local and touring musicians, as well as working with local busineses.
December 2017: Yackandandah Festival of Dangerous Ideas
Client: Totally Renewable Yackandandah - in conjunction with a community advisory group.
Event: A one-day community renewable energy policy and strategy forum, in Yackandandah, featuring leading national speakers; launch of Ausnet mini-grid project; a community lead ‘market-place’ discussions of 13 innovative and imaginative ideas and strategies; and a community concert.
Objective: To promote and celebrate Yackandandah’s innovative progress as a leading renewable energy community, in conjunction with a corporate partner, Ausnet Services. To celebrate and proactive the community habit of ‘thinking outside the square’
What we did:
Lead and undertake all planning and delivery aspects including: seek funding form four separate sponsors, coordinate community engagement, engage speakers, coordinate all logistics, development and management of budgets, public relations on ABC and other radio outlets, print media, social media, design and print posters.
Successful and widely publicized industry forum attended by 170 people, with a community update on developing opportunities for community renewable energy;
Increased local, statewide and national community awareness and engagement with community renewable energy. Production and release of an inspirational renewable energy anthem/ song. It's called TRY!
Spring 2017 - helping a local small business move location
Client: Halliday Solicitors, Beechworth
Event: This project provided for the planning and logistics support required to re-locate the legal practice in Beechworth to its new location in the redeveloped Old Beechworth Gaol.
What we did: worked collaboratively with the client team to plan and execute the physical officr move to ensure the least disruption to the legal practice. ETM negotiated with the new site managers; also arranged for communications, data cabling, and file archiving.
Events that Matter is a business unit of Koan Strategies Pty Ltd ACN 147 598 721.
We are located at 80 Dicksons Road, Indigo Valley Vic 3688 Australia
February 2017 - Renewable energy community meetings
Client: Mondo Power
Event: Two community meetings to gauge community support for development of renewable energy minigrids to make Yackandandah the first 100% renewable town in Australia by 2022.
Objective: Support the collaboration between Totally Renewable Yackandandah, Ausnet and its community marketing arm, Mondo Power.
What we did:
- Promote the event through social and mainstream media, including Twitter, Facebook and Indigo FM to generate positive community engagement,
- Foster the ‘relational’ aspect of this being a community-driven project;
- MC two community meetings where community members are encouraged and supported to sign on to the project.
Outcome: This event has lead to a strong uptake of renewable energy (40% of households) in the township of Yackandandah and immediate surrounding areas. And it strengthend the working relationship between Yackandandah and Mondo Power, culminating with the December 2017 launch of Australia’s first commercial mini-grid in the town.
January 2017 - GG and Friends Concert, Yackandandah
Client: GG and friends
Event: The final concert of GG’s 10-date Australian tour before returning to Berlin.
What we did: Full event organisation, including:
· arranged the venue booking and set-up,
· negotiation with the five separate acts performing,
· sound and lighting,
· event ticketing budgeting and payment of all expenditure,
· public liability insurance, liquor licence;
· advertising and promotion, merchandising,
· sourcing and sale of food and liquid refreshments and merchandise;
· MCing the event
Outcome: 150 local people to have a fabulous fun community evening showcasing local musical performance and achievement; local food and wine.
November 2016 - 'Back to Yack' Broadcast and Street Party
Client: Australian Broadcasting Corporation, and a project committee comprising representatives of ABC Rural, Indigo Shire and the Yackandandah Chamber of Commerce.
Objective: Deliver a purposeful, memorable and fun event to promote the second season of the well-known and well-loved Backroads program (Yackandandah had featured in an episode of the first series in December 2015). As well as a Yackandandah audience, the event was designed to reach and promote the many fabulous aspects of rural and remote Australia through the live radio broadcasts, and a live Facebook feed.
The event included a live state-wide and national broadcast from Yackandandah with interviews with numerous local and regional guests. Other key events included breakfast and community thanksgiving and welcome; an official welcome, attendance by the ABC board and executive, visits from ABC personalities including Heather Ewart, Costa Georgiadis and Barry Cassidy to a range of Yackandandah community organisations and projects; and a street party to conclude the day.
What we did:
· Liaised closely with the management committee, the participating organisations and the community at large around all aspects of the event, including sound and lighting, musicians, logistics supply, media and promotion, food outlets, traffic management, security, engagement of other contractors, development of running sheet program for the stage venue and clean up of venue.
· Organised breakfast and community thanksgiving and welcome.
· Coordinated a late afternoon and evening Yackandandah street party, which included, a music stage, 30 community organizations promoting their activities; and an excellent range of tailored catering options designed for the event.
· Conducted follow-up community evaluation.
Outcome: An estimated 1,000 people attended the exciting rural community street party event. The feedback from the Yackandandah community and the ABC has been very positive. An estimated 50,000 people connected to the project through live stream, social media and ABC radio.
May 2015 - Mittagundi Fundraising Bush Dance and Auction
Client: Board of Mittagundi Outdoor Education Centre, a volunteer-run community organisation dedicated to youth education and resilience building.
Objective: Promote Mittagundi to the northeast region of Victoria and to raise significant funds for the organisation.
What we did:
Coordinated the Bush-dance and auction event which was held in the Beechworth Memorial Hall, including:
· Obtained donations of goods and services from regional businesses for auction; ticketing, media and publicity;
· liaison with local service providers;
· liaison with entertainment providers;
· catering, budgeting, and coordinating volunteer work teams.
Outcome: Approximately 250 people attended the function, and $22,000 was raised to fund Mittagundi’s program and operating costs - the single highest amount raised at a fundraiser event in Mittagundi’s 40 year history!
The event ‘exceeded all expectations’ according to Mittagundi’s Board, and we had a lot of fun too!
2014 and ongoing - Indi Valley Music
Indi Valley Music is a partnership between Events That Matter and Sal Kimber, a regional musician and music event organiser.
Objective: Bring a continuing series of high quality national and international musical acts to small country halls in North-east Victoria including Beechworth and Yackandandah
What we do:
· Book venues
· Ticketing and budgeting;
· liaison with hall management and event volunteers;
· hall set up, decorations, and clean up.
· sound and lighting, security, liquor licencing, catering.
Six wonderful events up to December 2017, including performances in our region by Jenn Grant, Ruth Moody, John Flanagan; Sal Kimber and The Rollin Wheel; GG Music and Friends; Anthony Albrecht;